Which college most appeals to you?

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Going East (Villanova)

After Notre Dame, expectations were running high. I had done a lot of research ahead of time on Villanova University, a smallish university of around 6, 500 students located in the suburbs of Philadelphia. For all of you shoppers out there, it's also located near the King of Prussia Mall, the second largest outlet mall in the U.S. Based on our experiences in Philly (a traveling meth lab was found in our hotel downtown), I didn't have high expectations for Villanova. As it's down the street from Haverford, as well as in the vicinity of Swarthmore, it often gets less attention than its two more selective liberal arts counterparts.

I was pleasantly surprised. Driving there, the atmosphere was totally different than downtown. Rolling hills, freshly manicured lawns, and gurgling streams graced the Pennsylvania countryside. Villanova was beautiful, embracing both urban and rural environments. There was ample green space on campus, which I definitely appreciated so close to a major metropolitan center. What really impressed me were the two train lines, one to downtown Philly, and another that ran to New Jersey and New York. Both were on campus and readily available to students. Since many basketball games are played in downtown Philly, students will often take the trains in. Our tour guide also pointed out the convenience of having them when she wanted to fly or drive home for the holidays.

The labs were nice, and the library was small enough that one could focus studying, and not large enough to have trouble finding your way around. The university just recently got done building a state-of-the-art engineering lab, which was fantastic. Work was being done on everything from chemical cures for cancer to a full-scale model of a more fuel efficient, aerodynamic Formula 1 race car.  I was also impressed by the quality of the dorms, which had air conditioning. In addition, the campus had a Catholic church (following my trend of Catholic universities). According to the tour guide, around 65% of students identify as being Catholic, although the university embraces a multi-religion feel and seemed plenty ethnic, which I enjoyed immensely. There was an emphasis on collaborative learning and living-learning communities within dorms. It reminded me a lot of Uni, except cleaner, bigger, and in the shadow of a big city.

One of the highlights of the tour was the guide. Originally from North Dakota, I felt sure I could identify with her. We spent a good half hour or so talking to her. She wasn't Catholic, and yet she chose to go to college at Villanova, and her brother to Loyola of Chicago. She knew quite a bit about the pre-med track, as well as the foreign language programs, since she was a Spanish major.

Overall, I enjoyed Villanova. It was a great blend of urban living and good academics. Additionally, with strong programs in the arts and sciences, it matched my conceptions of a "good fit" school. Unfortunately, my mom says it's too far away. But for anybody looking for a truly underrated college with a beautiful campus, it would be fantastic. OK, I don't mean to end my blog post sounding like one of those people advertising a good home for a lost dog, but you should check Villanova out. Next week, I'll talk about my adventures at a nearby "true ivy," the infamous Princeton University.


3 comments:

  1. First of all, there was a traveling meth lab in your hotel??? That's crazy! This trip sounds like a true adventure. Villanova sounds like a great fit for you; it's really unfortunate that your mom doesn't want you going there. I look forward to your thoughts on Princeton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Freddy! This post along with the other PCC college gems shines light on good colleges that I have never heard of (and truthfully might've never have). If it's not too much to ask, if you could download some pictures that you took on campus, into your blog, that would be fantastic! In my experience, the pictures that the college puts in its brochure hardly ever reflects the true campus. I'm also with Ariana, can't wait until your Princeton review(hehe no pun intended)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should definitely post some pictures like Bryan said. I think this is a very interesting post which might get more college information out to some of the Juniors who read it. I also look forward to reading about Princeton.

    ReplyDelete